Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Random Book Haul with a Splash of Biology and Society

bacteria reading a book, reading bacteria, meme, bacteria meme, cartoon, scketch, drawing
 
Hello-Hello! Recently I got my hands on some awesome books. Some of them were free - somebody was literary throwing them to the garbage - and some of them I got for a cheap price in second-hand stores. I know that in some parts of the world, to buy from second-hand stores is seen with judgmental eyes in the eyes of society... like an embarrassment because you cannot afford to buy unused things, brand new. It is more about moral pride than the quality of the things and some people are even ashamed to admit that they entered and bought something from a second-hand store. I am speaking from my experience and I am not pointing fingers because it is impossible for me to know everything in this universe. :)
American view changed that opinion I had through books mostly. I found brand new books in second-hand stores. Barely opened or scratched books like the ones you are going to see below. It is crazy how many valuable things people are donating for other people to buy for a couple dollars.
Like that saying: One man's trash is another man's treasure.
I mean... It is a saying for a reason, right?
Don't be afraid about germs. Usually the stores disinfect them. Or in extreme cases you can disinfect them yourselves. Plus, a sterile life is impossible - except for fetuses in their mother's wombs and even there I might be wrong. Your are covered in germs yourself. Without your microbiota you will not be able to survive on this Earth. If you cannot believe me, you can listen to this guy from PBS who has a Ph.D. (doctorate) --> It's Okay To Be Smart - You Are Mainly Microbe... Meet Your Microbiome! 
You can see how much of a geek I am when I am turning a Book Haul into an educational post. Nevertheless, this shouldn't stop you to "stay curious" like Dr. Joe Hanson says. 
Now it's time for the BOOKS!!!!
 
book haul, book list, books, read
 Books I got for free:
Anne of Avonlea -- which I donated to a Free Library program in my town
 
book haul, book list, read
 Books I got from a second-hand store:
 
If you are interested in reading any of these books, I included the link for their respective Goodreads page. You just have to click on the name of the book from the lists above to learn more about that said... book. Gosh, that was a mouthful. Yes, I repeat everything I write in my head to make sure it sounds right.
Anyway... Let me know if you read or want to read any of the books I hauled today. I want to read your thought, feelings, and opinions in the comment section - even if you read this post 20 years in the future.
Oh! And did I spark your curiosity about biology and people?


 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I always buy books and other stuff from second-hand stores, why spending double money on something, if you can have it at half price in good shape and condition?!
    Plus I'm a big vintage fan, half of my wardrobe is made of second-third-etc-hand clothes, you just need to wash them!
    I'm interested to read what you think about Magonia, does have a catchy cover, and if Neil Gaiman thinks it's good, it must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! :)) I got my prom dress from a vintage store. It was beautiful, like new, and it cost $80 instead of $100, $200, or even $500. ;)
      Sure thing! I got my eyes on this book since it first hit the stores. (I think I just butchered that sentence with my grammar but I am too tired to care ;)) )

      Delete
  2. Ever since I was in high-school, I loved buying from second hand stores. In terms of clothes, I have found some amazing vintage pieces at incredible prices. As for books, you often get brand new ones. Even if they are used, most of them are in good shape. Last time I bought 10 books for 8 pounds and most of them looked brand new.

    P.S. That copy of Magonia is so pretty!

    http://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete