Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid aka The Roman Empire in Space

Book Synopsis

the diabolic, SJ Kincaid, Kincaid, fiction, science fiction, young adult, future, space, roman empire, romance, action, politicsNemesis is a Diabolic. Created to protect a galactic Senator's daughter, Sidonia. There's no one Nemesis wouldn't kill to keep her safe. But when the power-mad Emperor summons Sidonia to the galactic court as a hostage, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia.
She must become her.
Now one of the galaxy's most dangerous weapons is masquerading in a world of corruption and Nemesis has to hide her true abilities or risk everything. As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns that there is something stronger than her deadly force: the one thing she's been told she doesn't have - humanity. And, amidst all the danger, action and intrigue, her humanity might be the only thing that can save her, Sidonia and the entire Empire... The Diabolic - Goodreads





My Opinion

4/5 stars.
Cause of Science, I took one star. I will explain later in my review. Let's start with the positive, shall we? ^_^
This book was something. It got me intrigued from the very first chapter. It combined the very things I love most to read about space and Roman Empire. Two ingredients that should not work together like salt caramel ice cream or chocolate and salted pretzels but they do and they were so delicious to devour. 
The story is unpredictable. You think the plot is moving in one direction then the next thing you know... Surprise! You just got spun 180 degrees with the narrative moving in the opposite direction than you initially thought. 
The Diabolic, Book Photography, book, Photograph, adventure, space, romance, politics, future, science fiction, SJ Kincaid There is an amazing cast of characters which keeps the action moving forward besides the politics rich driven plot. It was interesting to read how the Emperor tried to keep his place on the throne like a dictator by killing and suppressing progress. He was like a futuristic version of Nero. But let's not forget about the Queen mother. She was... worse than the Emperor himself. If you ever watched Game of Thrones, then you should be very familiar with Cersei's character and how vile she can be. Well, the Queen mother is Cersei's mirror image.  
Aside from the whole political drama, there is also the Diabolic mythology. Designed bodyguards ripped off of all their humanity and trained killing machines destined to protect only one person at all costs. They are feared by everyone and paradoxically enslaved by the very same people.
Watching Nemesis rediscovering herself was beautiful and frustrating. Beautiful because she tried to understand her feelings and humanity, a side of her she never got a chance to explore. And frustrating because there is me, the reader, attempting to understand Nemesis' inhuman ways and pointing the obvious while she needed time to see past those ways.
the diabolic, book, SJ Kincaid, artwork, Bamboo paper, The Book Portal, romance, fiction, future, space, action, politic, young adultLike I said in the beginning, I took off a star mostly due to the science and, next, due to the very rushed ending. First, the science. The story tells us that Diabolics do not have lacrimal glands because they were designed not to cry. My question is: Then, how do Diabolics keep their eyes moist, clean, and infection free? So far, science says that the primary role of tears is not crying. They are just a tool used by the brain when showing distress to gain more sympathy from others. (Do not quote me on this but it's something like that :D). The author could have stick to the brain manipulation thing. It would had been more plausible in my opinion. I know. I know. By the end of the day, this is still a work of fiction but I still want my simple science to be accurate. ^^' The perks of being a science lover.
Second, the ending was a bit rushed and somewhat anticlimactic. I believe this was due to the uncertainty if it is going to be a standalone or a series. Which  it is understandable because the author wanted to give us a resolution just in case we are not going to get another book. And for that, I am also grateful.
All in all, I recommend this book if you are fond of space, ancient times, and politics. This was my cup of tea. Oh! The romance is good too. It fits perfectly into the narrative.

This is my sole opinion. ^_^   

PS - This is a wrap!

I hope you enjoyed this long promised review. Let me know what are your thoughts, feelings, and opinions in the comment section down below. All the images from My Opinion can be also found either on my Instagram or Deviant Art accounts.
Until next time, feel free to check out my latest posts I am back, readers! -->HERE<-- and Tarnished Crown Mini Book Review -->HERE<--.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review, I really enjoyed reading what you thought about this book! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It hit all my weaknesses and it captured my interest. And thank you to you too because you were the one who told me it's going to be a series. :)

      Delete